Why is it important to know how to measure sight glass for replacement?
- Builds reputation as “the level gauge guy”
- Positions yourself as a single source supplier
- Establishes a pattern for repeat business
All top QTS sales reps are familiar with measuring in the field!
What equipment is needed?
- PPE (Nomes, Hard Hat, Safety Glasses, Steel Toe Boots, etc.)
- High-Quality Tape Measure
Tape Measure Recommendation
Lufkin Control Series
- Wide end hook works well
- Available on Amazon.com
Method to take Center to Center Measurement
What are the Critical Dimensions on a Sight Glass?
- Vessel Center to Center
- Visible Range
- Gauge Overall Length (OAL)
- Chamber OAL
- Cover/Cover Overall (OAL)
Take Measurement from the Vessel Connection if Gauge Valve is Union Vessel Type
Familiarize Yourself with Common Nominal Pipe Size Specifications
Tip: Google “Nominal Pipe Size Chart”
Ask to get Pictures of the Assembly
- Pictures are a tremendous help
- The plant contact should be able to snap photos and email
- Pictures document the viewing angle and assembly orientation